Library Links

"Content that might be of interest to Teacher-Librarians..."


2.11.12

It’s All About Text Appeal: Readers’ advisory that makes a difference

Teach your kids how to speak intelligently about books.

Olga Nesi (onesi@schools.nyc.gov) a librarian at the Joseph B. Cavallaro Intermediate School, writes about how she gives her students the vocabulary to speak meaningfully about the books they want to read.


"I realized I had to expand my students' reading horizons by teaching them to speak intelligently and thoughtfully about their book preferences. But what was the best way to do that?

"To help solve the problem, I turned to Mary K. Chelton, my mentor at the Queens College Graduate School of Library and Information Studies in New York, for guidance. She suggested that I take a close look at Joyce Saricks's Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library (Google Preview - ALA, 2005). This book gave me the clarity I'd been craving—a complete explanation of the elusive concept I'd been trying to convey to my students.

============